Oldest in Essex
We play on the Chingford Golf Course. It is the oldest course in Essex, dating back to 1886 and believed to be designed by James Braid. The original layout was different. It once spread all the way to the Epping New Road and some of the old teeing areas can be found behind the Warren Wood Pub.
This is a public course, situated on common land. It has been managed by the Corporation of London for over 120 years. We are one of three clubs who are based on the course and who enjoy regular tee times in order to play weekly competitions and matches against other clubs.
The layout is 18 holes, par 71 on the Chingford G.C. card (72 for pay-as-you-go public players). It is an interesting challenge which combines fairways winding through the woods with more expansive holes on the more open Chingford Plain.
The course is served by a fully staffed Pro Shop led by Chief Pro Andy Traynor and assisted by Luke. Top quality golf tuition is available to golfers of all abilities. The Pro Shop is fully stocked and offers a full range of equipment and advice.
The Red Rule
In line with a requirement going back into the nineteenth century, golfers on this course and other courses owned by the Corporation must wear red. The Pro Shop offers plenty of choice in red golfing wear.